Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Reflecting

Trying to understand and come to terms with who we are as people is often a thing that is done during the twenty somethings. The more I reflect on it and see others doing the same makes me want to move on. Im going to guess that I find this distasteful because everyone is doing it. It is almost like im treating this like a fad which I want to be on the cusp of, not stuck riding the coat tails. Isnt it ironic that although im disgusted with self reflection that I cant help but continue? Its a horrible horrible addiction and I need help. The first step is admitting that there is a problem, right?

Some people might agree that I tend to do things because it will help separate me from the pack. I like to be singled out, usually for good things, but ill settle for weird or entertaining. I bet that my self reflections and or attempt at writing intellectual thoughts on a web blog are far from entertaining, but I think the personality quirk still holds to prove a point. I suppose maybe wanting to be different helps one avoid looking at the mirror in a sense. When you aren't reminded of what you do, it removes most options to, reflect and see what you might look like doing the same thing. So perhaps I want to avoid reflecting after all. Maybe I dont like doing it in the first place. Maybe I just like the idea of perceiving problems and analyzing them, but not really facing my own. Well, im sure as its human nature to self improve, i must like to do some reflection and problem facing. However, what wins out? The avoidance or the facing problems? Maybe neither and that I just like to analyze issues.

After successfully? avoiding the previous question, I am going to segway into careers. Will a career in pathology be satisfying enough for me? It certainly matches my interest for looking at problems and it does incorporate a handful of aesthetics, working with my hands, and poses challenges/ puzzles for me to continually learn new things. However, I am struggling to decide if it has enough human contact for me. I not only think that human interaction is important for a job, but also I want to believe what I am doing will help people. Maybe I dont need to have all those things fulfilled by one outlet. The same goes for a relationship, you shouldn't rely on one person to make you happy. Instead, it should come from a web of people. Maybe its time I dusted off that community service hat I used to wear so much...

2 comments:

silhouettedsarah said...

i think self reflection is a very healthy thing to do... when we don't reflect on ourselves and experiences I think that we can sometimes lose sight of how they impacted our lives and experiences. i don't know if that really makes sense to you.... but i generally go through phases: sponge phase (experiencing, doing, living, feeling, etc). and then reflection (taking all that i just absorbed and helping to understand how it fits into my little world perspective and life bubble).

hope we can be yogis soon
-s

Andy White said...

Since August, self reflection has been my chief occupation. I find it helps to talk to lots of people about what they find to be fulfilling work and why they find it to be so fulfilling. Also, I checked out a book last month called "Do What You Are". It helps to narrow down your personality type and what the matching careers are. Check out www.personalitypage.com for more info. Based on what I know about you, I would say you're probably an ISFP, the artist.